Board of Directors
James Parker, President
James Parker, an attorney based out of Knoxville, joined the Harbours Gate Board of Directors in January of 2015; he currently serves as its chairman. Born and raised in Knoxville, James graduated from the University of Tennessee with a degree in public administration and Washington and Lee School of Law. For a brief period between undergraduate and law school, James lived in Nashville where he served as legislative aid to the Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee during the second session of the 107th General Assembly. A passion for helping others and dedication to East Tennessee led James to Harbours Gate.
Why Harbours Gate: While Tom’s charismatic personality was the first thing to get my attention, the organization’s innovative structure and philosophy—dedication to developing a neighborhood peace corp, operating “triage” units in the heart of the communities it serves as opposed to one centralized office across town, and working hand-in-hand with other non-profits to make sure that each and every individual has access to the help that they need—made Harbours Gate stand out.
David Shanks, Treasurer
As a lifelong Tennessean, David Shanks of Shanks and Associates is familiar with life in the Volunteer State. A native of Rogersville, Tennessee, David
has spent more than 15 years in commercial real estate, working as an appraiser, contractor and investor, a unique combination that allows David to bring exceptional value to the clients that he works with at Shanks and Associates. In addition to these skills, David is also a MAI Designated appraiser, making his knowledge and expertise unique among brokers.
The MAI Designation that David holds comes from his meticulous work in earning this title. Recognized on a global basis, a MAI Designation is earned as a series of courses that extend over and above state certifications for appraisers. An incredibly strenuous process, the MAI Designation is the highest achievement for commercial appraisers that is renewable every five years to ensure that individuals who have receive MAI Designation are aware of the latest information for appraisers.
David is the member of several boards in the Blount County and Maryville communities, including:
- Blount County Chamber of Commerce: Board of Directors, 2017-Present
- Blount County Chamber Government Relations/Rapid Response Team, 2016-Present
- Harbours Gate Board of Directors, Treasurer, 2016-Present
- Maryville High School Athletic Boosters Board, 2016-Present
- Fairview United Methodist Church: Board of Trustees, 2012-2014, Staff Parish, 2017-Present
David Shanks is a resident of Maryville, Tennessee, where the offices of Shanks and Associates are located. David lives with his wife and three children, who are the driving force behind the work that David does for Shanks and Associates.
Jackie Hone is a family physician with Trinity Medical Associates, a Christ-follower, a wife, and a mom to two young children. She is passionate about caring for the needy and disadvantaged among us, and was excited to join Harbours Gate in this effort after seeing the heart of compassion with which they move to meet real needs for those struggling with addiction, life issues, and mental health disorders. She has used her medical knowledge to provide health education to different communities where Harbours Gate is involved, and also loves sharing the gospel and love of Christ to the hurting and down-and-out.
- Senior Accountant at Whitlock & Company, began working with them in 2013
- B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Tennessee with a major of Accounting and concentration in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Accountancy from East Tennessee State University
- Certified Public Accountant in the State of Tennessee
- Member of the American Institute of Public Accountant (AICPA) and the Tennessee Society of Certified Public Accountants (TSCPA)
- Member of Partners in Business East Tennessee (PIBET)
- Teach 5th and 6th grade Sunday school at Blount Community Church
- Works in the Nursery and Children’s Church at Outreach Christian Church
Calah Hanson is a Marketing Analyst for ndp and a graduate of Stanford University. Calah is honored to be a part of an organization that actively works to change and improve the lives of others.
Maryville College Men’s Head Basketball Coach
Financial Advisor Edward Jones
Steve Basler Woodworking Group
Mentor Community Activist